Friday, January 19, 2007

So, what am I doing now that I finished Spanish?

MORE SPANISH!!

ha,ha - I'm serious! The Lord opened up an opportunity at the end of February to go visit the Cora tribe. We still have to work out the details of the trip, but I'm excited about the possibility to visit the group. They live a ways south of here (see the map) and we'll be gone just short of a week. There are two dialects and Lord willing we'll be able to visit both. Please pray for the details to come together smoothly.

Then, in March, the Lord opened up another opportunity in another part of the mountains - with the Guarijio. My co-workers there, Dennis & Machelle Bender, invited myself and another girl, Arehmi Barrerra, to visit them for a month. We'll be having "mountain orientation!" We'll learn how to use & manage solar panels and make our own bread & tortillas (no grocery store to run & get what you forgot while shopping - no corner store to get your tortillas & beans). We'll have to plan food for a whole month & take everything that we'll need with us! We'll get to experience having tribal people in the house/with us all day long. We'll experience the isolation of living in a remote location. We're looking forward to it. Please pray for us as we prepare for this trip also.

So, as I have about a month until these trips start, I'm working on a few Advanced Spanish lessons on my own that Alonso developed before he died. It gives me a little more time to work to push my Spanish ability up even further before I start travelling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,
I remember the first time we moved interior. I was nervous about bringing EVERYTHING that we needed but I just had to be at peace and go to John 14:1 We will be praying for you.
Hazel W